“Intimate, deep and often intense, these are not interviews. They are conversations. A weekly aural dance designed to provoke, educate, inspire and empower you to discover, uncover, unlock and unleash your best, most authentic self.” ~The Rich Roll Podcast
In autumn 2012 I suffered a pilon fracture of my right ankle in a freak accident. During convalescence from ORIF (Open Reduction and Internal Fixation) surgery the universe conspired to help me. While sitting on the balcony reading and Internet-surfing I stumbled across a video by Rich Roll, Finding Ultra :: Reject Middle Age.
“Anybody can be the Ultraman.
You just have to do one thing, decide.”
I immediately ordered his book, Finding Ultra: Rejecting Middle Age, Becoming One of the World’s Fittest Men, and Discovering Myself.
Rich’s honest story of years of internal work to get right with himself spoke to me. Three years prior to my accident I was in the very dark depths of depression. Like Rich’s own recovery from drug and alcohol addiction, recovery from depression is a daily commitment. It’s also about surrender and participation, “dropping my ego and aligning myself with something higher and more fundamental.”
In late 2015 and early 2016 the universe once again brought Rich back onto my radar. I’d never listened to any podcast, and after months of putting it off I had to check it out. With RRP #169 downloaded, I headed out for a long bike ride as part of my Ironman training (something I previously never dreamed possible for me). The episode featured a discussion between Rich and his wife Julie Piatt (SriMati) entitled The Process Of Process Is Process. I was, once again, blown away by his authenticity, openness, and reality of being.
In September 2017, I had the opportunity to meet and talk with Rich Roll and his coach Chris Hauth when they competed in the ÖtillÖ Swimrun World Championship under epic conditions in the Stockholm Archipelagoes. But the most remarkable thing is how much I’ve learned, grown, and enjoyed Rich’s beautiful humanity through the work of his long-form conversations on The Rich Roll Podcast.
Over five years and 350 RRP episodes after the surgeon told me that my impact sports days were over, I’m now training for Ultraman Canada.
I’ve compiled a list of my favourite discourses, grouping them into eight very sweeping themes. Other than starting with my top picks, they’re not in any particular order. Instead, find something that looks interesting and progress step-by-step from there.
Peace Plants … Namaste
✌🌱 … 🙏
- #346 Dan Harris – The Power of Meditation For The Fidgety Skeptic
- #302 Tommy Rosen – Life Beyond Addiction
- #305 Scott Harrison – Why Clean Water Changes Everything
- #333 Rich Roll, Julie Piatt, Colin Hudon – How To Build A Conscious Relationship
- #353 Zach Bush, MD – GMO’s, Glyphosate & Healing The Gut
- #337 Best of 2017 Part 1 – PMA (Positive Mental Attitude)!
• JJ is my favourite part from this compilation. And if you’ve not read John Bloodclot Joseph’s raw and unfiltered autobiography, “Evolution of a Cro-Magnon“, I recommend listening to the Audible Audio Edition where this story of human resilience is delivered to you in its most potent form, the voice of the author himself.
- #338 Best of 2017 Part 2 – Rich hit 2017 outta-da park!!
• RRP #296: Dr. Neal Barnard, M.D.
• RRP #298: Meditation Master Sharon Salzberg
• RRP #302: Addiction Recovery Expert Tommy Rosen
• RRP #305: charity: water’s Scott Harrison
• RRP #311: Ultra-Athlete Samantha Gash
• RRP #317: Bestselling Author Gretchen Rubin
• RRP #319: Chinese Medicine Physician Colin Hudon
• RRP #320: Healing Mushroom Expert Tero Isokauppila
• RRP #323: National Geographic Fellow Dan Buettner
• RRP #325: Cardiologist Dr. Kim Williams, M.D.
• RRP #328: “Icarus” Director Bryan Fogel
• RRP #330: Neurologists Drs. Dean & Ayesha Sherzai
• RRP #334: Author and Podcast Host Tim Ferriss
Diet, Nutrition, Health
- #199 Michael Greger, M.D. – How Not To Die
- #242 Neal Barnard, M.D. – Breaking The Dairy Addiction
- #296 Dr. Neal Barnard, M.D. – The Power Of Nutrition To Prevent & Reverse Heart Disease, Diabetes & Alzheimer’s
- #44 Dr. Joel Kahn – How A Plant-Based Diet Can Prevent & Reverse Heart Disease
- #349 Dr. Joel Kahn – Plant-Based vs Ketosis
- #128 Cardiologist Joel Kahn – Is Butter Really Back? Heart To Heart
- #79 Dr. T. Colin Campbell – China Study Critics & How Plant-Based Nutrition Can Prevent & Reverse Disease
- #50 Dr. Garth Davis – Weight Loss Surgeon Turned Plantpower Crusader
- #150 Garth Davis, MD – Our Misplaced Obsession With Protein: High Fat, Low Carb Diets, Bad Science & How To Separate Nutritional Fact From Popular Fiction
- #336 Rip Esselstyn – Rip Is Plantstrong! (And Why You Should Be Too)
- #330 Drs. Dean & Ayesha Sherzai – Alzheimer’s Can Be Prevented & Reversed: Optimizing Brain Health
- #325 Cardiologist Kim Williams, M.D. – Dr. Williams Wants To Eradicate Heart Disease
- #162 Michelle Mcmacken, MD – Prevent Disease & Thrive: Holistic Lifestyle Medicine & Promoting Optimal Wellness Through Plant-Based Nutrition
- #140 Robert Ostfeld, MD – Eradicating Lifestyle Disease With Cardiologist
- #323 Dan Buettner – Lessons From The World’s Happiest People
- #352 Kathy Freston – The Queen of Clean Protein
- #268 Darin Olien – A Superfood Hunter On Peak Nutrition & Next Level Hydration
- #212 Ray Cronise – Our Broken Plate: Disrupting Nutritional Science, Intermittent Fasting & How He Helped Penn Jillette Lose Over 100 Pounds
- #261 Angela Bäuml-Nicolas, Jennifer Ayers, Colin Hudon – Heal Thyself
- #41 John Joseph – Punk Icon, Spiritual Warrior, Ironman Triathlete & Plantpower Iconoclast
- #66 John Joseph – The Punk Iconoclast On GMO’s, The “V” Word & Expanding Consciousness
- #223 John Joseph – JJ Wants You To Wake The F*Ck Up
- #294 John Joseph Returns – The Evolution Of A Cro-Magnon, Overcoming Insurmountable Obstacles & The Transformative Power Of PMA
- #266 Navy Seal David Goggins – The Toughest Athlete On Earth: Thoughts On Mindset, The 40% Rule & Why Purpose Always Trumps Motivation
- #339 Charlie Jabaley – How Charlie Rocket Lost 120lbs & Overcame A Brain Tumor To Become An Athlete
- #287 Turia Pitt – Unmasked: How Choosing Gratitude Turned This Burn Victim Into A Global Inspiration
- #201 Patrik Baboumian – The World Record Holding Vegan Strongman On Why Compassion Is His Greatest Strength
- #238 Griff Whalen – Vegan Nfl Player: The Plantpower Underdog On The Advantage Of Self-Belief
- #101 Brendan Brazier – From Professional Athlete To Bestselling Author And Beyond – The Story Of A Most Unlikely Entrepreneurial Success
- #334 Tim Ferriss Is Evolving – Looking Within, Learning Self-Love & Pondering What Matters Most
- #313 Rich Roll & Chris Hauth – ÖtillÖ! Meeting Nature Writ Large
- #81 IN-Q – Reimagining Your Truth
- #298 Meditation Master Sharon Salzberg – Real Love & The Art Of Mindful Connection
- #276 Rich Roll & Julie Piatt – Why You Should Be Devotional, Not Emotional — And How Insistence Trumps Resistance
- #274 Douglas Abrams – Idea Architect: Cultivating Joy, Collaborating With Spiritual Masters & Elevating Consciousness
- #319 Colin Hudon – Living In Alignment With Nature: Holistic Health, Seasonal Rhythms & The Interconnectedness Of All
- #332 Guru Singh – Building Emotional Infrastructure, New Educational Modalities & The Impact Of Diet Beyond The Physical
- #253 Joshua Fields Millburn – How To Be A Minimalist: The Power Of Living Deliberately & Contributing Beyond Ourselves
- #151 The Zen Of Wude — Meditations On Buddhist Philosophy, Gratitude & The Art Of Being
- #142 Andy Puddicombe – From Monk To Entrepreneur: How Andy Became The Modern Voice Of Meditation & Mindfulness
- #188 Dr. Gabor Maté – Addiction Is Not A Choice: A Call For A Compassionate & Holistic Approach To Healing
- #320 Tero Isokauppila – Healing Mushrooms: The Magical, Mysterious, Health Promoting Properties Of Fungi
- #293 Brad Stulberg & Steve Magness – How To Achieve Peak Performance, And Sustain It
- #283 Danielle Laporte – Becoming Your Own Guru
- #317 Gretchen Rubin – Where Do You Thrive? Playing To Your Strengths & Building Better Habits
- #62 David Simon – Meatonomics: How The Bizarre, Rigged Economics Of The Meat And Dairy Industries Co-Opt Consumer Choice
- #176 Kip Andersen & Keegan Kuhn – Cowspiracy: How Animal Agriculture Is Destroying The Planet & What You Can Do About It
- #278 Kip Andersen & Keegan Kuhn – What The Health: How Corporate Collusion Is Making Us Sick & Costing Us Trillions